Monday, November 30, 2009

Memories. From the corners of my mindddddd......

This post has nothing to do with "The Way We Were," but whenever I think about the word "memories," that song pops into my head and will not leave.

In light of the fact that I had nothing interesting to say tonight, I thought I would share something that I wrote when I was in Kenya, two years ago.

http://laurensfallinkenya.blogspot.com/2007/10/new-revelations.html

Sometimes, when I journal/blog, I read my entries weeks/months/years (ok, sometimes mere minutes) later, and I think "Ugh that's annoying. I can't believe I wrote those things." And that is why journaling is so great, because it makes you take a critical look at yourself. I should do it more often. Why don't I? I don't know. I'm lazy.

Anyway, sometimes re-reading journal entries is painful because I'm like, "yes, not only did I write these things, but I may have also said them out loud." When strong opinions go unchecked, and are savagely released into internet-land, bad things happen. Because maybe later you will realize, "hmm... once I actually learned more about (insert subject here), I realized that maybe I was wrong." But it's too late. Because everyone's already read your blog. But I guess, whatever. Life is a growing experience. Could I use any more cliches in this journal entry?

So, sometimes my old writing is annoying and weird but cool because I can see how I've changed or grown. This post I'm sharing comes from a particularly teachable/vulnerable/humble time in my life. So, I like it. I should probably only write when I'm feeling humble and teachable, because then I'll always look back and think "Oh OK. That's good."

If you knew me two years ago, then maybe you already read the post, so you don't have to read it again. But, if you're wondering why I am running a marathon to support causes in Kakamega, I think that particular post shows why my time in Kenya was so incredibly wonderful, challenging, important, and growth-filled.

I will leave you with a completely unrelated thought, and that is, although "almond peanut butter with sea salt" may sound appetizing, it is - in fact - not. I don't know, I just feel like that needed to be said tonight.

Also, I just want to say THANK YOU to those of you who have already donated! If you haven't, and you feel so called (note that I wrote this entry on payday muahahhaha), I would be so extremely appreciative! Again, you may do so by clicking the button on left side of the page, or by sending me a check. If you'd like to do the latter, email me at laurenehaney@gmail.com and I'll send you my address.




No comments:

Post a Comment